Skocz do zawartości
bongo_bg

Caster's Hit Rating > Gear Score

Recommended Posts

bongo_bg    25

Hello everyone!

 

I'm a Northcraft refugee and I play in Sunwell since the day our accounts were transfered. For this short period of time I've inspected bunch of chars, I've surfed through the armory in my lazy work hours and I came to the conclusion that most of the players has no idea what is Hit rating, how it works and how much of it you need. Seems like everyone is focusing on 'high GS' which unfortunately is a thing in WotLK. Seeing casters with 450+ hit rating is just breaking my heart...

So - here is this 'guide' which I hope will help you be more efficient with your character.

 

1% Hit = 26.232 Hit Rating

Every instance boss in WotLK is level 83. That's 3 levels above our level 80. In this scenario we have precisly 83% chance of hitting the boss. So 17% of our spells will 'miss', ('resisted' is a different topic). 17% times 26.232 equals 445.9 - that's the CAP. The hard cap, the top, the summit of the mountain. Every single point of hit-rating above 446 is useless, useless as a condom in a monastery.

But like I said - 446 is the 'hard' cap - the number you need if you go try killing bosses solo with no talents and you're not a draenei. So in different situations you're going to need a significantly lower number. I'll try to list the most common situations.

If you have a shadow priest in your raid, the boss gets https://db.darkwizard.pl/?spell=33198 and that applies for the whole raid as it's a debuff. This increases the hit chance by 3%. So the miss chance gets 17-3=14% x26.232 = 368 Hit Rating.

Same for https://db.darkwizard.pl/?spell=33602 if you have a balance druid in the raid - again 3%.

I'm sure in 99% of your raids, you always have a shadow priest or a balance druid. Consider your cap 368.

(In 5 man Heroics the boss'es level is 82 and you need only 6% hit which is 157 so don't worry if you are all paladins in the RDF)

Now, keep moving, most of the classes has a low tier talents to increase hit with additional 3% - Shadow Priest's https://db.darkwizard.pl/?spell=15328, Mage's https://db.darkwizard.pl/?spell=29440 and https://db.darkwizard.pl/?spell=12840 (arcane only but they do stack), Ele Shammy's https://db.darkwizard.pl/?spell=30674, Warlock's https://db.darkwizard.pl/?spell=18176. Boomkins has +4% from https://db.darkwizard.pl/?spell=33596. So as you can see, every single caster class/spec has a talent to improve hit and I suggest you all to take it. 3% is 79 hit rating which is like T9 chest or legs.

Now math again - if you picked these talents of yours and you have a shadow priest OR a balance druid in your raid then you have 6(7)% additional to hit so the miss chance is reduced to 11%. 11 times 26.232 is 289. That's your true cap. Only 289 with proper talents. Of course there are different numbers for specific situations - druid's 4th % makes the miss chance 10% which lowers the cap to 263. Draenei's racial is 1% hit aura for the party (not whole raid but party). So a basic caster with a draenei in the party needs also 263 hir rating. A balance druid with a draenei in the party needs 236 hit rating.

 

So bottom line - you dont need freakin' 600 hit - it's like you have nothing. Dungeon drop item with ilvl200 is generally more useful than item with ilvl245 over the hit cap. Don't screw up your dps and your char just because you want 'high gs'. Raid leaders, don't recruit in pugs only based on GS - it's a lie.

 

Hit rating is the most important stat for all the casters - it should be your number 1 priority. But once capped is like stacking strenght or armor penetration.

 

Note: Hit rating is not a healing stat. Heals don't miss. Healers should not 'need' hit rating items.

 

Edit: It turned out the above guide is not understandable enough so I'll write down most of the possible scenarios for every caster spec (with the assumption that either a shadow priest or a balace druid will be in the raid group):

 

 

 

 

 

  • Lubię to! 1
  • Uwielbiam to! 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Void    44

Sure, 450 hit rating is sick and teels much about lack of player's knowledge. However, as you are gettin through content with fresh 80 char, and with nearly every raid and dungeon your eq chanqes, you're obliged to meet a situation, when your hit rating swings between 8.5% - 13.0%. Simply because u lack gold to put all gems in or enchs. Or when, as a casters, you r wearing mp5 parts due to overall higher stats compared to a gear before. It stabilizes as your closer to biss gear though. 

Anyway - thats the guide that should be translated to polish and put on polish forum as an obligatory read, cuz its great job man!

  • Lubię to! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bongo_bg    25

Thank you Void!

You're right, indeed with the fresh 80s the situation is different. Bellow avarage ilvl 226 there is no point of going deep into everything as you can literally change items in matters of hours. Also capping hit rating with dungeon gear is not so easy and it's not a big deal.

What I'm talking about and the reason I created this topic is for casters in the range 5k GS with 600 hit rating. Honestly - I saw such guys. I won't mentioned any nicks but after RF Anub fell into <Vision> I saw in the armory both a shadow priest and a mage with 450+ hit rating and a RF title. With ilvl 258 items. That's just wrong.

I can't say for all the classes as I have the gear table only for shadow priest, but with 4/5 pieces T9 ilvl258 (a.k.a BiS for this content) you get ~275 hit - almost capped. So you need just a wand with hit or 1 gem or Icewalker enchant to get capped. I suppose it's the same or pretty close with the other classes sets too.

Absoluetly no item with ilvl245-258 after hit cap is no better than any ilvl232 with no hit on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aleera    4

It's cool that you've mentioned SPriests's Misery and Bala's Improved Faerie Fire for added 3% spell hit but thing is they don't stack with each other, dear sir.

  • Nie lubię 1
  • Uwielbiam to! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bongo_bg    25

Aleera, have you read somewhere in my post that they stack? Have you noticed the calculations showing that they stack?

Everytime I spoke of it I'm saying shadow priest OR balance druid. Have you missed that 'cool' part, dear sir?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aleera    4
3 godziny temu, bongo_bg napisał:

Now math again - if are picked these talents of yous and you have a shadow priest/balance druid in your raid then you have 6% additional to hit so the miss chance is reduced to 11%.

Seems a bit missleading. What if any special talents are not quite found once we deal with lets say a fire mage.

Anyway, you're acting out of your good will or what is it? Whats so wrong with them 450 Vision RF players, as long as something is clearly working out, why bother chang...

  • Uwielbiam to! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Puchateq    35
37 minutes ago, Aleera said:

Seems a bit missleading. What if any special talents are not quite found once we deal with lets say a fire mage.

Anyway, you're acting out of your good will or what is it? Whats so wrong with them 450 Vision RF players, as long as something is clearly working out, why bother chang...

You're right. Not every class(spec) has hit improvement talents. Moreover it's pointless to turn this thread to Vision player's gear argument(or create a different topic) because it's barely the beginning of new content(5th week?) and it's hard to meet perfect caps for all stats. As mentioned earlier without full bis gear it might oscillate about +-3% hit. 

 

Nevertheless that's a good guide for beginners and a bit more advanced players and needs only the foregoing annotation about the lack of certain talents :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bongo_bg    25

A fire mage will never be a 0/71/0 fire mage. If no hit % bonus talent is taken, then you go for the 14% mark which is 368 hit rating.

You know, I cannot go into details for every possible scenario. One can decide to go 1 point per talent, one can be draenei arcane mage etc. I'm talking the basics here. You need 17% in total. You take out what you have, the rest x26.232. That's it.

And yes - I do this on my good will. Even if 1 person reads it and improves his gear, that's a win for me. I'm not talking against <Vision>, big thumbs up for the guys! In such populated server that's a huge win indeed. But saying stuff like "why bother change" is the worst. Good distribuition in gear is always important in every guild. I don't know how to even comment that sentence... If some of their mages has strenght/arp neck or ring does that mean "good for them, why bother change"??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bongo_bg    25
1 hour ago, Puchateq said:

You're right. Not every class(spec) has hit improvement talents. Moreover it's pointless to turn this thread to Vision player's gear argument(or create a different topic) because it's barely the beginning of new content(5th week?) and it's hard to meet perfect caps for all stats. As mentioned earlier without full bis gear it might oscillate about +-3% hit. 

 

Nevertheless that's a good guide for beginners and a bit more advanced players and needs only the foregoing annotation about the lack of certain talents :) 

Like I said - every caster class/spec has hit improvement talents. It's a up to personal choice - use them or not. I did not turned the thread to Vision's gear - I simply made an example. And somehow you guys turned my good intentions into something bad. That would be my last try to do something nice here.

 

As it turned out my 'guide' was too complicated I've updated it - there is now a list for every possible scenario. I hope you're satisfied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Puchateq    35
1 hour ago, bongo_bg said:

If some of their mages has strenght/arp neck or ring does that mean "good for them, why bother change"??? 

That's good for them. No one bothers to afk in Dalaran with low gear score :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sorenalike    31

hi

Thats a nice guide Thanks bongo keep up the good work :)

I recommend using DrDamage addon its easier also if you see you got 97% chance to hit that means you are hit capped since as bongo said you get 3% from moonkin druid or shadow priest

also shows more detailed stats which you might not wanna do the calculation

btw this topic is in 

Class Discussions 

but when you click on it("Class Discussions") you can't see it in there its kinda weird

thats why i found it kinda late

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bongo_bg    25

Hey Sorenalike, DrDamage is great addon and I used it all the time but since I downloaded new client this year and retured to WoW, it's not working for me anymore. Either I cannot find working version of it or it's simply not working with my client.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Void    44
Dnia 30.10.2017 o 06:33, bongo_bg napisał:

Hey Sorenalike, DrDamage is great addon and I used it all the time but since I downloaded new client this year and retured to WoW, it's not working for me anymore. Either I cannot find working version of it or it's simply not working with my client.

Try downloading one of a bit older versions you can find on wowace for 3.3.5a or 3.3.0. Not the latest for wotlk. Should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeśli chcesz dodać odpowiedź, zaloguj się

Komentowanie zawartości tej strony możliwe jest po zalogowaniu



Zaloguj się

  • Przeglądający   0 użytkowników

    Brak zarejestrowanych użytkowników przeglądających tę stronę.

×